Re: How to add locale support for each column? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tatsuo Ishii
Subject Re: How to add locale support for each column?
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> Mahmoud Taghizadeh wrote:
> > I have already this mail to PATCHES mailing list and nobody replied
> > me !!!., Hope the hackers  and the developers send their ideas.
> >
> > Qustion: is this approach is suitable for solving the need for locale
> > per column in PostgreSQL ?
>
> I doubt that, because 1) it's nonstandard, and 2) switching the locale
> at run time is too expensive when using the system library.  It's a
> good workaround, though, if it satisfies the requirements of your
> application.

What about internal sorting, for example GROYP BY, UNION, merge join
etc.? These still use the per database cluster locale, that might be
inconsistent with per column locale and might lead to unwanted result,
no?
--
Tatsuo Ishii