Re: Commitfest wrapup - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Commitfest wrapup
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> On 2022-Apr-08, Greg Stark wrote:
>> * fix psql pattern handling

> Sounds like a bugfix, but how old and how backpatchable a fix is?
> Thread is quite long.

There's been more contention than one could wish about both what
the behavior should be and how to refactor the code to achieve it.
Nonetheless, I think there is general consensus that the current
behavior isn't very desirable, so if we can reach agreement I think
this should be treated as a bug fix.

>> * Avoid erroring out when unable to remove or parse logical rewrite
>> files to save checkpoint work

It seems like people are not convinced that this cure is better than
the disease.

>> * standby recovery fails when re-replaying due to missing directory
>> which was removed in previous replay.
>> * Logical replication failure "ERROR: could not map filenode
>> "base/13237/442428" to relation OID" with catalog modifying txns
>> * Fix pg_rewind race condition just after promotion
>> * pg_receivewal fail to streams when the partial file to write is not
>> fully initialized present in the wal receiver directory

> Sound like bugfixes to be backpatched.

Yeah.  I'm not sure why these have received so little love.
The only one of this ilk that I've personally looked at was

>> * Make message at end-of-recovery less scary

which for me adds far too much complication for the claimed benefit.
Maybe somebody else with a lot more familiarity with the current WAL
code will care to push that, but I'm not touching it.  Post-FF
doesn't seem like a good time for it anyway from a risk/reward
standpoint.