Re: server closed the connection unexpectedly - Mailing list pgsql-general

From ruben
Subject Re: server closed the connection unexpectedly
Date
List pgsql-general
Hi again Mike:

mike g wrote:
> Ok,
>
> Other suggestions:
> 1) Have you done a Vaccum full on the table?  That should reduce the
> table size and resources required.

First thing I tried was VACCUUM on the table, but got the same errror:

before or while processing the request.

> 2) Use psql to dump the table instead of pg_dump.  In psql do a  COPY
> affected table TO /file name.  That will output the table results in a
> tab delimited text file which could then be reimported later using COPY
> affected table from /that file name.
>
> COPY BINARY affected table to /File name could be considered as well.

I could not try this since I already solved the problem saving partial
contents of the table, recreating and inserting. Finally, I only lost
300 tuples :-(

> 3) create a few smaller tables with the same data definitions.  Insert
> specific sections of the table into each smaller table via Insert into
> one_smaller_table
> Select * from affected_table where date between X and Y

What worries me most, besides recovering this table, is why could this
happened and how to avoid it. I guess it's due to a hardware problem and
the only solution is a frequent backup.

Thanks for your help, Mike
Ruben.