Re: Loading Binary Data into Bytea Fields? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Robby Russell
Subject Re: Loading Binary Data into Bytea Fields?
Date
List pgsql-general
On Wed, 2004-07-07 at 05:12, Jerry LeVan wrote:
> Objective C via Libpq, the thumbnails are not going to be very big.
>
> Large objects seem a bit out of place and require extra care
> when backing up and doing deletions....
>
> Jerry

Well, from my experience large objects are faster than bytea.
Also, some info on the main 3-4 different options:
   http://www.varlena.com/varlena/GeneralBits/25.html (look under the
heading, "storing images in database"

One method that they mentiond was storing them in a text field with
Base-64 encoding, as this would allow you to export/import/talk with
other databases (mysql, ...) should that be required in your
environment.

cheers,

-Robby

--