Re: LinuxTag wrapup - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Andreas Pflug
Subject Re: LinuxTag wrapup
Date
Re: LinuxTag wrapup  (Andrew McMillan <andrew@catalyst.net.nz>)
List pgsql-hackers
Bruce Momjian wrote:

>Andreas Pflug wrote:
>

>>Jeroen T. Vermeulen wrote:
>>

>>>But like I said, that's just my personal conviction.  I definitely think
>>>people in our community ought to be willing to work together with the
>>>MySQL people, the FireBird people and anybody else in the free world to
>>>have world-class GUI development tools;
>>>

>>Just a note:
>>I've been talking again to the DBdesigner4 guy, ho told me that the next
>>version of that schema designer is going to support *any* target
>>database system, not just MySQL. AFAICS DBdesigner4 is currently the
>>most advanced open source tool to design real big data models (with sub
>>models, different views on the model etc), not just that useless
>>everything-on-one-page crap all around. I'll try to keep contact with
>>him, for some real world experience from database system independent design.
>>

>Didn't MySQL hire the DBdesigner guys months ago?  Do they still want to
>support PostgreSQL?

That's right, and initially they will only serve MySQL, but it will be
extendable to support any db system. It will be GPL (or licenseable, but
since it's a tool and not a platform IMHO GPL is ok).
If things work out as they seem, I'd contribute the pgsql stuff.

Regards,
Andreas