Re: [HACKERS] CREATE DATABASE on the heap with PostgreSQL? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Maarten Boekhold
Subject Re: [HACKERS] CREATE DATABASE on the heap with PostgreSQL?
Date
List pgsql-general
Hi,

The original poster seemed not to care too much about whether the data
in this database is persistent. Under that assumption, I wonder if it's
possible to do the following:

1- start postmaster
2 - create database on RAM disk (will be easy once tablespaces are there)
3 - work with this database
4 - postmaster shuts down / reboot server
5 - start postmaster
6 - create database ...

The question is whether 5/6 will work, as the database will have entries
in the system catalogs, and since the data of the database has
disappeared. I.e. postmaster will probably complain mightly on startup.

Perhaps it's possible to first start postmaster in single user mode to
clean up the system catalogs?

Maarten