Re: [HACKERS] CREATE DATABASE on the heap with PostgreSQL? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: [HACKERS] CREATE DATABASE on the heap with PostgreSQL?
Date
List pgsql-general
Maarten Boekhold <boekhold@emirates.net.ae> writes:
> The original poster seemed not to care too much about whether the data
> in this database is persistent. Under that assumption, I wonder if it's
> possible to do the following:

> 1- start postmaster
> 2 - create database on RAM disk (will be easy once tablespaces are there)
> 3 - work with this database
> 4 - postmaster shuts down / reboot server
> 5 - start postmaster
> 6 - create database ...

> The question is whether 5/6 will work, as the database will have entries
> in the system catalogs, and since the data of the database has
> disappeared. I.e. postmaster will probably complain mightly on startup.

You'd probably have to do a manual "DELETE FROM pg_database" to get rid
of the row, but as of right now I don't think there'd be any other
cleanup needed.  The tablespace patch might complicate the picture though.

            regards, tom lane