Re: Relocatable installs - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Jan Wieck
Subject Re: Relocatable installs
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Bruce Momjian wrote:
> Peter Eisentraut wrote:
>> Jan Wieck wrote:
>> > Boy, nobody was suggesting 100% static linking. What kind of madness
>> > are you getting into if you link libpq.a into psql? There is
>> > something between all or nothing, isn't there?
>>
>> It's not going to be only psql and libpq.  The next thing is, someone
>> wants to have a relocatable libpqxx, or a relocatable PHP, or a
>> relocatable MyCoolReplicationSystem.  Before you know it, half the
>> world has the other half of the world statically linked.  This can't be
>> the solution.
>
> So your opinion is that we need to just require some user configuration
> changes to find the shared libs, right?

Peter is mixing issues here. How another application finds the right
libpq.so, libpqxx.so or whatever interface lib after someone moved the
PostgreSQL lib directory somewhere else has absolutely nothing to do
with how we make sure that our binary utilities like initdb, psql and so
forth are protected against using the wrong one in a multi-version
relocatable environment.

And that some platforms support relative rpath is nice handwaving, but
it doesn't get us anywhere.

Jan