Re: Plan for feature freeze? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Joshua D. Drake
Subject Re: Plan for feature freeze?
Date
List pgsql-hackers
>For me even September 1st does not seem too late. Major version up
>bring users pains including backup/restore application
>imcompatibilty... IMO to justify those pains we need to give users
>major enhancements. Honestly I don't understand why we should rush the
>major version up.

I agree with this point even though I suggested August 1st. 7.5 has some
extremely ambitious plans,
far greater than 7.3 or 7.4 implemented. A longer release cycle might be
a good idea.

My personal daemons on this are:

Vacuum -- is the stuff Jan is working going to make a July 1st date? If
not... 7.5 should push.
Win32 -- if it won't make it, then 7.5 should push.

PITR is nice but not as vital (IMHO) as the two above.

Replication -- we have either via Replicator or Slony-I which is due in
a month.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake