Re: tsearch2: plainto_tsquery() with OR? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: tsearch2: plainto_tsquery() with OR?
Date
List pgsql-general
Oleg Bartunov <oleg@sai.msu.su> writes:
> On Thu, 9 Aug 2007, Tom Lane wrote:
>> Are either of these definitions really right?  If I type "foo bar baz"
>> into Google, for instance, it seems to produce some sort of weighted
>> result, neither a strict AND nor a strict OR.  Google didn't get where
>> they are by misjudging what the simplest search behavior should be like.

> we provide strict basic query language via to_tsquery(), which could be
> a foundation for different ql. We need consensus here and we leave it for
> future.

Since we're about to push tsearch into core, I'm not very happy with a
"leave it to the future" approach.  We need to get the API right *now*.

I think that a function defined as "take these words and do an
appropriate weighted search with them" doesn't necessarily have to
specify what the weighting is.  But if the definition is "find the AND
of these words", you can't fudge that later on.

            regards, tom lane