Re: tsearch2: plainto_tsquery() with OR? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Oleg Bartunov
Subject Re: tsearch2: plainto_tsquery() with OR?
Date
List pgsql-general
On Thu, 9 Aug 2007, Tom Lane wrote:

> Oleg Bartunov <oleg@sai.msu.su> writes:
>> On Wed, 8 Aug 2007, cluster wrote:
>>> Does anyone know where I can request an OR-version of plainto_tsquery()?
>
>> plainto_tsquery expects plain text, use to_tsquery for boolean operators.
>
> Are either of these definitions really right?  If I type "foo bar baz"
> into Google, for instance, it seems to produce some sort of weighted
> result, neither a strict AND nor a strict OR.  Google didn't get where
> they are by misjudging what the simplest search behavior should be like.

we provide strict basic query language via to_tsquery(), which could be
a foundation for different ql. We need consensus here and we leave it for
future. Someone could write google like ql, but I didn't see any description
what exactly google does. Currently, people write their own search wrappers
which implement google-like ql.

     Regards,
         Oleg
phone: +007(495)939-16-83, +007(495)939-23-83