Setting up Postgresql on Linux - Mailing list pgsql-general

Hello,
I originally installed postgresql as root user and now I am setting up a
development environment with cvs and a java ide and tomcat. I have
everything with the exception of postgresql integreted using a non-root
user.
THe process I am using is  to logon as postges and start the database
and do queries from the command line using psql. Then I logoff and logon
as phil and start tomcat and my java ide.

1.Is there a better way to start the database and the web application?

2. During setup of postgresql I chown and ghgrp the /usr/local/pgsql
directoy tree to postgres?

3.However my development environment(i.e. jdbc connection from my
application) doesn't seem to have permission to access to all the files
it needs in postgres?

4. Is is best to install postgresql as user "phil" in order to gain
access for my integrated develoment environment?

thanks,
Phil