Re: Setting up Postgresql on Linux - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Paul Thomas
Subject Re: Setting up Postgresql on Linux
Date
List pgsql-general
On 01/03/2004 23:22 Phil Campaigne wrote:
> Hello,
> I originally installed postgresql as root user and now I am setting up a
> development environment with cvs and a java ide and tomcat. I have
> everything with the exception of postgresql integreted using a non-root
> user.
> THe process I am using is  to logon as postges and start the database
> and do queries from the command line using psql. Then I logoff and logon
> as phil and start tomcat and my java ide.
>
> 1.Is there a better way to start the database and the web application?

Start PostgreSQL off as service (it's probably there already but
configured to start on power-up/reboot). In a production environment I set
tomcat up as a service as well. In a developmemt environment, I
install/run it under my user.

> 2. During setup of postgresql I chown and ghgrp the /usr/local/pgsql
> directoy tree to postgres?
>
> 3.However my development environment(i.e. jdbc connection from my
> application) doesn't seem to have permission to access to all the files
> it needs in postgres?

It doesn't need any postgres files. It communicates via tcp/ip. Keith has
already posted the config changes you need to make.

> 4. Is is best to install postgresql as user "phil" in order to gain
> access for my integrated develoment environment?

See above.

--
Paul Thomas
Business |