Re: psql, 7.4, and the \d command - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Brendan Jurd
Subject Re: psql, 7.4, and the \d command
Date
List pgsql-general

Tom Lane wrote:

>Brendan Jurd <blakjak@blakjak.sytes.net> writes:
>

>>I'm not objecting to the incompatibility itself, but I do think more
>>information needs to be provided to the user.  I humbly suggest that if
>>psql is not going to be fully backwards-compatible with previous
>>postgres backends, at the very least you should issue a warning when
>>psql connects to a partially compatible server.
>>

>This has been discussed before.  I think the reason for not doing it
>has been the difficulty of coming up with a useful warning that explains
>what will work and what won't.  You suggest
>

>>WARNING: psql version is 7.4.1, but postgres server version is 7.3.4.
>>Some psql features may not function as expected.
>>

>but you've got to admit that's pretty vague and unhelpful.

It is vague, but it's not unhelpful.  Especially not when contrasted
with the current behaviour -- where the application carries on as though
nothing is amiss.  It at least gives the user some indication that weird
errors during the session may be related to incompatibility.  It makes
the user aware of a version discrepancy, which could be a useful prompt
for him to bring the two versions into accord, if desired.  It also
tells the user what version the server is running, which the current
psql fails to do -- it merely reports the client version.

It's not a catch-all solution, but it does have some benefits, and, as
far as I can see, no real downsides.