Re: psql, 7.4, and the \d command - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: psql, 7.4, and the \d command
Date
Re: psql, 7.4, and the \d command  (Mike Nolan <nolan@gw.tssi.com>)
Re: psql, 7.4, and the \d command  ("scott.marlowe" <scott.marlowe@ihs.com>)
List pgsql-general
Brendan Jurd <blakjak@blakjak.sytes.net> writes:
> I'm not objecting to the incompatibility itself, but I do think more
> information needs to be provided to the user.  I humbly suggest that if
> psql is not going to be fully backwards-compatible with previous
> postgres backends, at the very least you should issue a warning when
> psql connects to a partially compatible server.

This has been discussed before.  I think the reason for not doing it
has been the difficulty of coming up with a useful warning that explains
what will work and what won't.  You suggest

> WARNING: psql version is 7.4.1, but postgres server version is 7.3.4.
> Some psql features may not function as expected.

but you've got to admit that's pretty vague and unhelpful.

            regards, tom lane