Re: psql, 7.4, and the \d command - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Mike Nolan
Subject Re: psql, 7.4, and the \d command
Date
List pgsql-general
> This has been discussed before.  I think the reason for not doing it
> has been the difficulty of coming up with a useful warning that explains
> what will work and what won't.

I think all that is necessary is to expand the startup banner to show
what the back end is:

    Connected to PostgreSQL 7.3.4 server[@host]

This is similar to what some other front ends (ie, Oracle) do.
it may not be all that helpful in terms of explaining what will and what
won't work, but it unobtrusively identifies the back end for those who
need or want that information.

I would only display the host information if psql was called with -h.
--
Mike Nolan