Re: I want to use postresql for this app, but... - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Claudio Cicali
Subject Re: I want to use postresql for this app, but...
Date
Re: I want to use postresql for this app, but...  (Andrew Sullivan <ajs@crankycanuck.ca>)
Re: I want to use postresql for this app, but...  ("scott.marlowe" <scott.marlowe@ihs.com>)
Re: I want to use postresql for this app, but...  ("scott.marlowe" <scott.marlowe@ihs.com>)
List pgsql-general
Jean-Michel POURE wrote:

>>This is *WRONG*.
>>MySQL is *free*, but is double-licensed.
>>Please refer to this page for further details.
>>http://www.mysql.com/products/licensing.html
>
> Are you serious?

Yes, I am.

> By free, we also mean that a product is developed by a community of people,
> not a company raising funds. MySQL AB is mainly backed-up by investors. When
> all this money is burnt-away, this will be the end of it.

You can't say what YOU mean with "free". In this context "free" is what is
licensed under GPL or GPL-compatible licenses.

MySQL, as a *product*, it's not free as you argue. Ok. But MySQL as simple
"software", is free. You can get the whole source and begin "forking" as you
like. This is enough for me, and for anyone pondering "licensing" problems
while choosing a dbms for her company.

> Free software is a cultural and shared development organisation, tightly
> linked to the motivation of a individuals.

I could not agree more.

> In a way, MySQL is NOT ***free***. It will be free the day when you see normal
> people taking decisions and committing new features to CVS. There is no
> freedom without equal access to information and decision makers.

Yes, in A WAY. Not the way that (imho) we were discussing here.

> Visit: http://www.mysql.com/company/index.html
> "MySQL staff develop new releases every..."
>
> Equal access will (probably) never happen, because MySQL AB would not be able
> to release "double-licences" without the agreement of all authors.

Wonder what is missing to Postgresql ? (hint: strong commercial support. No flame, please ! :))

> Best regards,
> Jean-Michel

Nice post, nice thread.

--