Re: I want to use postresql for this app, but... - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Jean-Michel POURE
Subject Re: I want to use postresql for this app, but...
Date
List pgsql-general
> This is *WRONG*.
> MySQL is *free*, but is double-licensed.
> Please refer to this page for further details.
> http://www.mysql.com/products/licensing.html

Are you serious?

By free, we also mean that a product is developed by a community of people,
not a company raising funds. MySQL AB is mainly backed-up by investors. When
all this money is burnt-away, this will be the end of it.

Free software is a cultural and shared development organisation, tightly
linked to the motivation of a individuals.

In a way, MySQL is NOT ***free***. It will be free the day when you see normal
people taking decisions and committing new features to CVS. There is no
freedom without equal access to information and decision makers.

Visit: http://www.mysql.com/company/index.html
"MySQL staff develop new releases every..."

Equal access will (probably) never happen, because MySQL AB would not be able
to release "double-licences" without the agreement of all authors.

Do not hesitate to contact us back if normal people from the normal world ever
commit code in MySQL CVS. This would be a clear sign that MySQL AB is on the
good trend and will probably go faster than a 3 year release cycle.

By choosing PostgreSQL, people are investing in a community work that will
never dissapear and will probably superseed all existing databases within 10
years.

This is as simple as life. Unless PostgreSQL hackers and manpower is wiped-out
by a nuclear winter or any natural catastrophy, there is no possibility to
stop PostgreSQL rise (joke, I am not really serious here).

Best regards,
Jean-Michel