Re: Run 2 versions of Postgresql on one machine? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Joshua D. Drake
Subject Re: Run 2 versions of Postgresql on one machine?
Date
List pgsql-general
Wei Wang wrote:
> Thank you all for your kind help. I have set up 7.4.1 and it's up and
> running perfectly.
> One small question that might not belong in this mailing list:
> Since all the binary commands share the same name, e.g. initdb, createdb,
> psql, etc, and the
> default path is already the 7.1.3 version. How do I come up a way to access
> binary commands of
> both versions quickly without adding absolute path infront of those of
> 7.4.1?

Well if you are using 7.4.1 primarily you can just change the path order
so that the pgsql/bin for 7.4.1 comes
before the pgsql/bin for 7.1.3. If not, you could set up some aliases...
if you are using bash:

alias psql74 = '/usr/local/pgsql74/bin/psql'