Re: Run 2 versions of Postgresql on one machine? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Mike Mascari
Subject Re: Run 2 versions of Postgresql on one machine?
Date
List pgsql-general
Joshua D. Drake wrote:

>Wei Wang wrote:
>

>>Thank you all for your kind help. I have set up 7.4.1 and it's up and
>>running perfectly.
>>One small question that might not belong in this mailing list:
>>Since all the binary commands share the same name, e.g. initdb, createdb,
>>psql, etc, and the
>>default path is already the 7.1.3 version. How do I come up a way to access
>>binary commands of
>>both versions quickly without adding absolute path infront of those of
>>7.4.1?
>>

>Well if you are using 7.4.1 primarily you can just change the path order
>so that the pgsql/bin for 7.4.1 comes
>before the pgsql/bin for 7.1.3. If not, you could set up some aliases...
>if you are using bash:
>
>alias psql74 = '/usr/local/pgsql74/bin/psql'

gcc's configure has a --program-prefix and a --program-suffix option so:

./configure --program-suffix=-3.4

would generate the binary:

gcc-3.4

instead of:

gcc

I wonder if people would find that useful for PostgreSQL? It doesn't
seem to be a particularly hot topic, though.

Mike Mascari