Re: Test - Mailing list pgsql-php

From Chris Smith
Subject Re: Test
Date
List pgsql-php
Hi,

>Well, thank you very much.  I hope that's not sarcasm I detect in this
>effort to educate the newbies.  I should mention that I am a newbie, I am
>constantly reading the documentation, and that I KNOW WHERE TO START.
>Here.  I got to this list from postgresql.org, and the php lists are tough
>to navigate (ie, i recieve, but can't seem to consistently post.)

I don't think that was his intention at all. There is no "one" place to
start, it depends on your goals for using php. If you want to use php for
sending emails via contact forms, that's totally different to anything
database related, which it totally unrelated to using filesystem functions,
so it's a bit hard to give you one starting point.

>Maybe, since you seem to be "in the know", you can point out one of the
>pgsql/php functions you have mentioned instead of giving me useless
>information.  That would help...

http://www.php.net/manual/en/ref.pgsql.php <-- gives you all the postgresql
functions for using it with php. eg, how to connect, how to perform the
queries etc.

>If you look closely, you'll see that there is a problem, there is really
>no function that takes web form contents (yes the name=value pairs, not
>the html tags (w3.org can do that!)) and puts these into :
>
>insert into <table_name> ($web_form_names) values ($web_form_values);

Nope, you'll either have to create a function to do it yourself, or write
it by hand (probably the latter is better, you never have a consistent
number of fields etc on forms so a function would quickly become out of
control & thus useless).

I've got a small tutorial (shameless plug :P) which might give you some
starting points. It's a little outdated, haven't got around to updating it
yet (it's just using older versions of the software, everything else should
be fine) --> http://designmagick.50megs.com/postgresql-tutorial/ or if that
doesn't work, it's mirrored at
http://www.newbienetwork.net/sections.php?op=listarticles&secid=5 .

If you have any specific questions in mind, then feel free to ask :)

HTH

      Chris Smith
http://www.squiz.net/