Re: Paypal WAS: PostgreSQL speakers needed for OSCON - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Joshua D. Drake
Subject Re: Paypal WAS: PostgreSQL speakers needed for OSCON
Date
Re: Paypal WAS: PostgreSQL speakers needed for OSCON  ("Keith C. Perry" <netadmin@vcsn.com>)
List pgsql-advocacy

True or not, the copywrite infringement is a problem and there are digital
fingerprinting technologies that could be implemented (and are on other system)
the could at least cut done the amount of piracy.
I doubt it. People will always break it. Frankly I own every MP3 I have. The reality is, people aren't honest.
They are either stealing a pen from a bank, or an mp3 from the web. The only thing Kazaa has done is
make it so that the people that will steal pens from the bank can also steal music (images whatever) as easily
as they would steal that pen.

The problem is not the technology. The problem is the inherit feeling within humans that they somehow deserve
something, regardless (yes I am being generalistic) of whether or not they have earned it. So you get this mindset
that says, well only one mp3 won't hurt an artist, only one album won't hurt and artist, hell that artist made 20 million
last year and the cd is over priced... I will just download it.

This is nothing new, people have been trading on Usenet, IRC and Archie (and these people are the primary culprits)
for a long time. I think that you would find that the majority of people that are in the "major" offense of mp3 trading are the same
people that have always and will always do it.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

Someone mention the
"appearance" of things an I think that arguement holds some weight.  I think MS
and many other people are waiting for the OSS community to be deal a disabling
blow.  I won't have't chanced things with Kazaa either.  Especially since they
were spywear at one point.

One plus for me about Kazaa is that seem to be very pro-privacy but I think you
can do that an protect copywrites as well.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

+1-503-222-2783 - jd@commandprompt.com - http://www.commandprompt.com
Editor-N-Chief - PostgreSQl.Org - http://www.postgresql.org