Re: Paypal WAS: PostgreSQL speakers needed for OSCON - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Robert Treat
Subject Re: Paypal WAS: PostgreSQL speakers needed for OSCON
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
On Tuesday 06 January 2004 18:51, Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> >True or not, the copywrite infringement is a problem and there are digital
> >fingerprinting technologies that could be implemented (and are on other
> > system) the could at least cut done the amount of piracy.
>
> I doubt it. People will always break it. Frankly I own every MP3 I have.
> The reality is, people aren't honest.
<snip>
> The problem is not the technology. The problem is the inherit feeling
> within humans that they somehow deserve
> something, regardless (yes I am being generalistic) of whether or not
> they have earned it. So you get this mindset
> that says, well only one mp3 won't hurt an artist, only one album won't
> hurt and artist, hell that artist made 20 million
> last year and the cd is over priced... I will just download it.

Or maybe some people arn't in favor of corporation owning our culture. Maybe
they realize that companies take and take and take from the "public domain"
of information and try to rebrand it until they own it. Maybe people are
tired of the fact that we can't get a decent perscription drug/ secured
border / retirement solution / insert your social cause here but we seem to
have no trouble passing laws like the DMCA and Sonny Bono Act.  Maybe some
people see people building operating systems better than the biggest
commercial companies and so they no longer believe that we can't have quality
music/movies/books without locking it out of reach for generations to come.
Heck I bet some people don't even believe in the idea of owning information.
Maybe those people downloading them are hoping that thier acts of civil
disobediance might lead to a cultural revolution that puts people ahead of
the bottom line.

Or maybe not.

Robert Treat