Re: Paypal WAS: PostgreSQL speakers needed for OSCON - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Keith C. Perry
Subject Re: Paypal WAS: PostgreSQL speakers needed for OSCON
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
Quoting "Joshua D. Drake" <jd@commandprompt.com>:

> >True or not, the copywrite infringement is a problem and there are digital
> >fingerprinting technologies that could be implemented (and are on other
> system)
> >the could at least cut done the amount of piracy.
> >
> I doubt it. People will always break it. Frankly I own every MP3 I have.

Well we get a little smarter everytime with technology sometimes we get it kinda
right (e.g. the one-way encryption for unix password files, the tocom chips in
digital cable boxes) sometimes we get it wrong (e.g. WAP 802.11 encryption, DVD
encryption) but I think my point was lost in making a specific case.

A deterrant is just that.  A person can do just about anything with enough time
and motivation.  Since deterrants can be technically based quite often they
will have a low cost of implementation.  When a company like Kazaa indicates
that they would still not implement such technology (and who knows maybe they
will or do) it makes me wonder.

> The reality is, people aren't honest.
> They are either stealing a pen from a bank, or an mp3 from the web. The
> only thing Kazaa has done is
> make it so that the people that will steal pens from the bank can also
> steal music (images whatever) as easily
> as they would steal that pen.

True but in some case "enabling" is also a crime.  Take the case with the guy
who wanted to make a dvd player for linux.  Even though he did nothing illegal
the circuit court still deemed it illegal for the exploits and methods for DVD
encryption to be available since in their option the only reason to have that
information would be to copy a DVD with is "illegal".  Again this guy gets a
negative denotation associated with him because he, in reality, did nothing more
than expose a technical failing in a technology and then use it to complete a
project.  Had commericial companies been more receptive to software DVD player
at that time, weakness in the technology might not have never been exposed.  It
actually funny how we treat people sometimes.

> The problem is not the technology. The problem is the inherit feeling
> within humans that they somehow deserve
> something, regardless (yes I am being generalistic) of whether or not
> they have earned it. So you get this mindset
> that says, well only one mp3 won't hurt an artist, only one album won't
> hurt and artist, hell that artist made 20 million
> last year and the cd is over priced... I will just download it.

heheh, well I kinda have to agree with that but still, not every artist or
software writer (lets just say copywrite owner) is in the position to get the
royalties he or she is entitiled to.  In fact most do not.

> This is nothing new, people have been trading on Usenet, IRC and Archie
> (and these people are the primary culprits)
> for a long time. I think that you would find that the majority of people
> that are in the "major" offense of mp3 trading are the same
> people that have always and will always do it.

hey lets go even further back to GOPHER, FTP (before there were directories) and
of course the dial-up BBS' (ahh the C-64 days!)

What you're saying is absolutely true but if it known that these same elements
now also use Kazaa as well as all the folks that are not as savy then why align
ourselves with something that even has the appeareance of a negative image.  I'm
sure we all spend enough time trying to promote PG that we really
don't want to get into discussions about why PostgreSQL up on Kazaa along side
Quincy Jones' Jook Joint

> Sincerely,
>
> Joshua D. Drake
>
> >Someone mention the
> >"appearance" of things an I think that arguement holds some weight.  I think
> MS
> >and many other people are waiting for the OSS community to be deal a
> disabling
> >blow.  I won't have't chanced things with Kazaa either.  Especially since
> they
> >were spywear at one point.
> >
> >One plus for me about Kazaa is that seem to be very pro-privacy but I think
> you
> >can do that an protect copywrites as well.
> >

> >>Sincerely,
> >>
> >>Joshua D. Drake
> >>
> >>--
> >>Command Prompt, Inc., home of Mammoth PostgreSQL - S/ODBC and S/JDBC
> >>Postgresql support, programming shared hosting and dedicated hosting.
> >>+1-503-222-2783 - jd@commandprompt.com - http://www.commandprompt.com
> >>Editor-N-Chief - PostgreSQl.Org - http://www.postgresql.org
> >>

> >>---------------------------(end of broadcast)---------------------------
> >>

> >KP-
> >
> >____________________________________
> >This email account is being host by:
> >VCSN, Inc : http://vcsn.com
> >

> --
> Command Prompt, Inc., home of Mammoth PostgreSQL - S/ODBC and S/JDBC
> Postgresql support, programming shared hosting and dedicated hosting.
> +1-503-222-2783 - jd@commandprompt.com - http://www.commandprompt.com
> Editor-N-Chief - PostgreSQl.Org - http://www.postgresql.org

--
Keith C. Perry, MS E.E.