OFF TOPIC!! Re: Paypal WAS: PostgreSQL speakers needed for OSCON - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Robert Treat
Subject OFF TOPIC!! Re: Paypal WAS: PostgreSQL speakers needed for OSCON
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
On Tuesday 06 January 2004 21:30, Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> >Or maybe some people arn't in favor of corporation owning our culture.
> > Maybe they realize that companies take and take and take from the "public
> > domain" of information and try to rebrand it until they own it. Maybe
> > people are tired of the fact that we can't get a decent perscription
> > drug/ secured border / retirement solution / insert your social cause
> > here but we seem to have no trouble passing laws like the DMCA and Sonny
> > Bono Act.
>
> I have no problem with my retirement solution. I actually save money
> instead of spending it on 4 latte's a day.
> I buy used cars instead of new ones at 329.00 a month on my 1600.00 a
> month salary. I choose not to have
> cable so I can save 600.00 a year tax free towards retirement. I take
> the bus instead of drive everyday to
> save 75.00 a month on gas. I work a second job two days a week to cover
> my kids college.
>
> This isn't me, but it was once. I earned everything that I have through
> hard work and the grace of God.
>
> Life is a choice people. You make of it what you will. It is up to you
> to choose your direction and the things
> that you want. If you don't have something you want (prescription drugs
> for example) then change jobs.
> If you can't change jobs, organize with your fellow employees and walk out.
>
> Can't afford to walk out? Start taking night classes over the Internet..
> Can't afford it? Why not? If you
> can't afford it legitamitely, then you will qualify for financial aid.
> Educate: Get a better job.
>
> Maybe some people are ignorant and lazy...
>
> Maybe some are a victim of circumstance.
>
> The latter is the rarity..
>
> I am fat because I have to eat McDonalds....

Two thing you seem to overlook.  First, in regards to a decent retirment plan,
in this country we are forced to pay into a system like social security even
though we may never recieve a dime from it.  I can think of a lot better ways
to invest my money than handing it over via FICA.

Second, while they can choose to avoid fast food, poor people can't afford
food of the same quality that rich people can afford.  Ever notice how
"organic food" is generally more expensive than it's regular counterparts?
Or fresh produce is more expensive than it's canned counterparts?  Sure you
can tell people they just need to "try harder", but it glosses over a lot of
details in actually being successfull...

> >  Maybe some
> >people see people building operating systems better than the biggest
> >commercial companies and so they no longer believe that we can't have
> > quality music/movies/books without locking it out of reach for
> > generations to come. Heck I bet some people don't even believe in the
> > idea of owning information. Maybe those people downloading them are
> > hoping that thier acts of civil disobediance might lead to a cultural
> > revolution that puts people ahead of the bottom line.
>
> Except that information can be owned, Legitamate protest, organized
> events, and knowledge is the power
> to change it. Personally I think that certain IP laws are ridiculous.
> The DMCA is one of them,
> Copyrights that last longer than the author's life, and corporations
> like Wal-Mart all disgust me...
>
> Breaking the law isn't the way to change any of it.

You haven't studied your history Joshua. Civil disobedience has always been a
useful tool in changing a societies laws.  Course the bus company never sued
Rosa Parks for $17,000 for sitting in the wrong seat....

Robert Treat