Re: getBinaryStream/setBinaryStream 7.2<->7.4 Question - Mailing list pgsql-jdbc

From Harry Schittler
Subject Re: getBinaryStream/setBinaryStream 7.2<->7.4 Question
Date
List pgsql-jdbc
Hi,

Kris Jurka wrote:
I just upgraded from postgres 7.2 to 7.4 (pg72jdbc2.jar to
pg74.1jdbc3.jar), after the upgrade I got some behaviour I simpy dont
understand.
I have not been able to duplicate this in a variety of configurations.  I
suspect it may have something to do with the encoding used, but you have
not indicated your exact setup.  You say you upgraded from 7.2 to 7.4, but
you only mention the JDBC driver, can you confirm that you upgraded the
server as well?  Also what encodings are the 7.2 and 7.4 databases running
with?  (You can get this from the \l command in psql.)
Sorry, I upgraded both, the Server  from 7.2 to 7.4 and the jdbc driver as stated above.
The orginal setup was an 7.2 server with "latin1" encoding and the jdbc driver with default options. After upgrading the Server and the jdbc driver everything worked fine except for data retrieved via getBinaryStream() or getBytes()  from a "bytea "column. Setting the data works ok (I verified this...). Changeing the client encoding with the charset property didn't help, only switching back to the older driver fixes the problem.
Barry Lind told me he thinks this is a known bug in the server, which causing translation of bytea data to unicode. He suggested switching the database to unicode. But I'm still a bit confused, about a serverbug that goes away when changing the client?

cu Harry