Re: [pgsql-www] Release cycle length - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Andrew Dunstan
Subject Re: [pgsql-www] Release cycle length
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Josh Berkus wrote:

>Guys,
>
>I agree with Neil ... it's not the length of the development part of the
>cycle, it's the length of the beta testing.
>
>I do think an online bug tracker (bugzilla or whatever) would help.   I also
>think that having a person in charge of "testing" would help as well ... no
>biggie, just someone whose duty it is to e-mail people in the community and
>ask about the results of testing, especially on the more obscure ports.  I
>think a few e-mail reminders would do a *lot* to speed things up.  But I'm
>not volunteering for this job; managing the release PR is "herding cats"
>enough!

Maybe some sort of automated distributed build farm would be a good
idea. Check out http://build.samba.org/about.html to see how samba does
it (much lighter than the Mozilla tinderbox approach).

We wouldn't need to be as intensive as they appear to be - maybe a once
or twice a day download and test run would do the trick, but it could
pick up lots of breakage fairly quickly.

That is not to say that more intensive testing isn't also needed on
occasion.

cheers

andrew