Re: ARC buffer strategy committed - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Jan Wieck
Subject Re: ARC buffer strategy committed
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Jan Wieck wrote:

> Tom Lane wrote:
>> Jan Wieck <JanWieck@Yahoo.com> writes:
>>> That's strange, if I reverse apply my patch I have buffer leak's and all
>>> kinds of crap. Can't even initdb. Who else applied patches tonight?
>>
>> FWIW, I can initdb --- that seems fine --- but the regression tests spew
>> lots of small fragments.  What I suspect is that the bufmgr is
>> occasionally returning the wrong buffer :-(
>
> It does, somehow and magically ... I have not found the exact reason
> yet. I have backed out my patch for the moment, more tomorrow.

Yeah, adding a buffer multiple times to the list of unused buffers
ensures that it later on gets used for multiple contents simultaneously.
Would be cool if that actually worked, it would give the discussion
about recommended shared buffer size a totally new twist ;-)

Jan