Re: ARC buffer strategy committed - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: ARC buffer strategy committed
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Jan Wieck <JanWieck@Yahoo.com> writes:
> Yeah, adding a buffer multiple times to the list of unused buffers
> ensures that it later on gets used for multiple contents simultaneously.

Hm.  Looking at the patch last night, I was wondering why you had
removed all the guard logic from BufTableInsert and BufTableDelete.
Was that indeed a bad idea?  In particular, the removal of this bit
from BufTableDelete
   /*    * Clear the buffer's tag.  This doesn't matter for the hash table,    * since the buffer is already removed
fromit, but it ensures that    * sequential searches through the buffer table won't think the buffer    * is still
validfor its old page.    */   buf->tag.rnode.relNode = InvalidOid;   buf->tag.rnode.tblNode = InvalidOid;

worries me quite a lot, because I *know* that was necessary before.
Have you really changed the search algorithms to the point where it's not?