need for concrete info - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Dennis Gearon
Subject need for concrete info
Date
Re: need for concrete info  (Network Administrator <netadmin@vcsn.com>)
Re: need for concrete info  (Keary Suska <hierophant@pcisys.net>)
Re: need for concrete info  (Ron Johnson <ron.l.johnson@cox.net>)
List pgsql-general
I've been using PG very lightly for quite awhile, (although I"ve read
through all but the programmer's manual once or twice). I loved when I
got to PG and it had Oracle like features, "A real database!". This is
after using MySQL, which I first though, "I'm programming a website off
a simple, easy to use, non msoft product, yippee!".

Well, now I am writing a proposal, which among many other points,
proposes to switch from the current hosting site of a non profit to a
slightly more expensive one running PostgreSQL, (where I have some other
projects.) I want to use as my main argument, the fact (at this time,
only from my previous usage), that MySQL really doesn't have foreign
keys or record locking, and Postgres does.

I will be trusted to say this, and I don't have to reprint the manuals
from each DB in my proposal, or maybe I will. But anyway, I'm still
correct with today's MySQL vs. PostgreSQL, right? I *really* want to use
PostgreSQL for this project and not MySQL as I want to avoid growing
pains trying to get MySQL to do the job of a bigger DB down the road.

--
"You are behaving like a man",
is an insult from some women,