Re: Prepared Statements - Mailing list pgsql-jdbc

From Dmitry Tkach
Subject Re: Prepared Statements
Date
List pgsql-jdbc
Actually, here is what javadoc comments say in the jdk's
PreparedStatement class:

/**
 * An object that represents a precompiled SQL statement.
 * <P>A SQL statement is precompiled and stored in a
 * <code>PreparedStatement</code> object. This object can then be used to
 * efficiently execute this statement multiple times.
 *
 * <P><B>Note:</B> The setter methods (<code>setShort</code>,
<code>setString</code>,
 * and so on) for setting IN parameter values
 * must specify types that are compatible with the defined SQL type of
 * the input parameter. For instance, if the IN parameter has SQL type
 *
 * <p>If arbitrary parameter type conversions are required, the method
 * <code>setObject</code> should be used with a target SQL type.
 * <P>
*/

Two things that stricke me here:

- no mention of "security" stuff whatsoever. The sole purpose of
 PreparedStatement according to this is to "efficiently execute this
statement multipe times",
not "to prevent slq injection attacks" or anything like that;

- it is *explicitly* stated that setObject () should be used for
"arbitrary type conversions";

Dima