Re: [pgsql-advocacy] MySQL gets $19.5 MM - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Jan Wieck
Subject Re: [pgsql-advocacy] MySQL gets $19.5 MM
Date
Re: [pgsql-advocacy] MySQL gets $19.5 MM
List pgsql-general
weigelt@metux.de wrote:
> [...]
> We of the FFII/Eurolinux alliance are fighting against this.
> On September 1st. the European Parlament will decide on an directive
> draft from the JURI, which allow every idea to be patentable.

Oh - that sounds great ... a bunch of blind people talking about the
color of a rainbow ...

I expect this to lead to the same stupidity of "patents" like NetFlix
got lately. For those who don't know, NetFlix is a DVD rental company
where you have an online managed list of movies you want to see. They
send you the first 3 and whenever you send one back they send you the
next via regular mail. The entire thing costs $20 a month, all postage
paid, they provide the envilopes.

Now they have a "patent" on their system of rental subscription service.
I wonder how much the guy in the patent office got paid for that. If he
claims he got nothing, IMHO he simply claims he's less smart than a
piece of toast ... for granting such a rubber band patent you have to
get paid or you're as stupid as it gets.

Jan