Re: translation-related clarification - Mailing list pgadmin-hackers

From Andreas Pflug
Subject Re: translation-related clarification
Date
List pgadmin-hackers
Howard Bagcat wrote:

>anyone,
>
>I just want to clarify this:
>
>'Original String' prefixed with "&" should not be changed in order to preserve
>default shortcut keys. I understand that 'items' that starts with "&" denotes
>ALT+('items' first Character, next to "&") as its shortcut key.
>
>Not aware 'til I read the translation_howto, I translated some of the "&"
>prefixed 'Original Strings' into my native language. Later I noticed that
>typical Filipino PgAdmin3 user will rather use the default pgadmin language than
>'tl_PH' language for a possible reason that some shortcut keys are denoted to a
>different 'item' compared to the default 'en_US' translation. I think as much as
>possible, translated pgadmin must preserve important shortcut keys in order for
>the pgadmin user not to missed up things.

Hi Howard,
it appears that shortcut handling might differ from language to
language. I think we have to let the translators decide whether it's ok
to translate shortcuts or whether it's better to keep the original
shortcut keys. While it seems a bad idea for Filipino, I decided for
German to carefully translate shortcuts.
If translating the shortcuts, all translators please check if the menu
will work as expected.

Regards,
Andreas