Problem restoring a table from 7.2.1 to 7.3.2 - Mailing list pgsql-admin

From Kris Kiger
Subject Problem restoring a table from 7.2.1 to 7.3.2
Date
List pgsql-admin
I have sucessfully dumped a table from my 7.2.1 database with:

 pg_dump -t table1 -D -U postgres -Ft main > table1.tar

I am trying to use pg_restore to put this table into a 7.3.2 database with:

pg_restore -t table1 -d databaseX -v -Ft -U postgres table1.tar

However I am recieving this error:

pg_restore: connecting to database for restore
pg_restore: creating TABLE table1
pg_restore: connecting to database databaseX as user meep
pg_restore: restoring data for table table1
pg_restore: [archiver (db)] could not execute query: ERROR:  Invalid
UNICODE character sequence found (0xd141)
pg_restore: *** aborted because of error

I understand the error, but I do not understand why there may be an
invalid unicode character present.  The database I am moving from
(7.2.1) stores text as unicode.

The table restores the first 852 items in the table, so I un-tarred the
dump and took a look at the 853 insert.  It looked fine to me, so I
pasted the insert into psql and it processed just fine.  No invalid
unicode character exception thrown.  Maybe I'm looking at this the wrong
way, but I'm out of ideas.  Thanks for the help!

Kris