Re: For the ametures. (related to "Are we losing momentum?") - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Ben Clewett
Subject Re: For the ametures. (related to "Are we losing momentum?")
Date
Re: For the ametures. (related to "Are we losing  ("Matthew T. O'Connor" <matthew@zeut.net>)
Re: For the ametures. (related to "Are we losing momentum?")  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
List pgsql-hackers
Matthew T. O'Connor wrote:

> [...]

I was hoping this was the case. :)
From my data/base directory, I have a tree structure of numbered files
of no obvious structure.  As well as some smaller directories, 'global',
'pg_xlog' and 'pg_clog'.

If I wanted to divide the postmaster read() calls evenly to files
located over several physical disks, how would you suggest distributing
the data-space?  Would it be as simple as putting each child directory
in 'data/base' on a different physical disk in a round-robbin fasion
using symbolic links:  Or is it more involved...

data/base/1 -> /dev/hda
data/base/2 -> /dev/hdb
data/base/3 -> /dev/hdc
data/base/4 -> /dev/hda
data/base/5 -> /dev/hdb
data/base/6 -> /dev/hdc (etc)

(I have made the assumption that the postmaster serves different
connections in parallel, otherwise this would have little effect :)

Thanks,

Ben