Re: For the ametures. (related to "Are we losing momentum?") - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Shridhar Daithankar
Subject Re: For the ametures. (related to "Are we losing momentum?")
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Tuesday 22 April 2003 13:55, Ben Clewett wrote:
> If I wanted to divide the postmaster read() calls evenly to files
> located over several physical disks, how would you suggest distributing
> the data-space?  Would it be as simple as putting each child directory
> in 'data/base' on a different physical disk in a round-robbin fasion
> using symbolic links:  Or is it more involved...
>
> data/base/1 -> /dev/hda
> data/base/2 -> /dev/hdb
> data/base/3 -> /dev/hdc
> data/base/4 -> /dev/hda
> data/base/5 -> /dev/hdb
> data/base/6 -> /dev/hdc (etc)

Don't bother splitting across disks unless you put them on different IDE
channels as IDE channel bandwidth is shared.

If you have that many disk, put them on IDE RAID. That is a much simpler
solution.
Shridhar