Re: For the ametures. (related to "Are we losing momentum?") - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: For the ametures. (related to "Are we losing momentum?")
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Ben Clewett <B.Clewett@roadrunner.uk.com> writes:
> If I wanted to divide the postmaster read() calls evenly to files
> located over several physical disks, how would you suggest distributing
> the data-space?

AFAIK, the single biggest win you can get in this dimension is to put
the WAL log ($PGDATA/pg_xlog/) on a separate spindle from everything
else.  At least for write-intensive databases, that can buy you
something like 2x improvement for the price of one easy symlink.

After that, the conventional wisdom is to put indexes on a third spindle
(separate from base tables and from xlog).  But the bookkeeping and
maintenance effort needed for that is really too high to make it worth
worrying about, IMHO :-(.  Eventually we will have some kind of
tablespace feature to make it easy.

My recommendation at the moment would be: WAL on dedicated spindle,
everything else on the best RAID array you can set up.  And buy as much
RAM as you can afford.

See past discussions in pgsql-performance for more info.