Re: Are we losing momentum? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From mlw
Subject Re: Are we losing momentum?
Date
Re: Are we losing momentum?  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
Re: Are we losing momentum?  (Robert Treat <xzilla@users.sourceforge.net>)
Re: Are we losing momentum?  ("scott.marlowe" <scott.marlowe@ihs.com>)
Re: Are we losing momentum?  (Lamar Owen <lamar.owen@wgcr.org>)
List pgsql-hackers

Christopher Kings-Lynne wrote:

>>That's a pretty reasonable thought. I work for a shop that sells
>>Postgres support, and even we install MySQL for the Q&D ticket tracking
>>system we recommend because we can't justify the cost to port it to
>>postgres. If the postgres support were there, we would surely be using it.
>>
>>How to fix such a situation, I'm not sure. "MySQL Compatability Mode,"
>>anyone? :-)
>>

>The real problem is PHP.  PHP is just the cruftiest language ever invented (trust me, I use it every day).  The PHP
peopleare totally dedicated to MySQL, to the exclusion of all rational thought (eg. When I asked Rasmas at a conference
aboutrace conditions in his replicated setup, he replied "it's never going to happen - MySQL's replication is just too
fast...).

Hey! don't go knocking PHP, it is probably one of the most flexible and
easy to use systems around. I have done several fairly large projects
with PHP and while it is an "ugly" environment, it performs well enough,
has a very usable extension interface, it is quick and easy to even
large projects done.

As for MySQL, there are two things that PostgreSQL does not do, and
probably can not do to support MySQL:

(1) REPLACE INTO (I think that's the name) which does either an insert
or update into a table depending on the existence of a row. I was told
that this was impossible.

(2) MySQL returns a value on  insert which is usually usable, for instance,
insert into mytable (x,y,z) values(1,2,3);
select rowid from mytable where x=1 and y=2 and z=3;

I have had many discussions with MySQL people, and one common thread
exists. People who use MySQL do not usually understand databases all
that well. Arguments about *why* it is a horrible database and barely
SQL at all, fall on deaf ears. They don't understand PostgreSQL, they
complain that it is "too big." They complain that it is "too much,"
MySQL is all they need. They complain that it is "too hard" to use.

All of these things are largely imagined. PostgreSQL is not much bigger
than MySQL, in fact, the difference is negligible with regards to
average system capability these days. It isn't any more difficult to
use, its just a little different. They, however, feel safe with MySQL.
MySQL is the Microsoft of databases, everyone uses it because everyone
uses it, not because it is better or even adequate.

We need to take projects like Bugzilla (Did RH ever release the PG
version or am I way out of date?) and port them to PostgreSQL. We need
to write free articles for Linux and IT magazines about how to take a
MySQL project over to PostgreSQL easily, why PostgreSQL is much better
than MySQL, lastly we have to play the MySQL benchmark game .. we need
to create a Benchmark program that clearly shows how PostgreSQL compares
to MySQL.