Re: Are we losing momentum? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From scott.marlowe
Subject Re: Are we losing momentum?
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Tue, 15 Apr 2003, mlw wrote:

> Christopher Kings-Lynne wrote:
>
> >>That's a pretty reasonable thought. I work for a shop that sells
> >>Postgres support, and even we install MySQL for the Q&D ticket tracking
> >>system we recommend because we can't justify the cost to port it to
> >>postgres. If the postgres support were there, we would surely be using it.
> >>
> >>How to fix such a situation, I'm not sure. "MySQL Compatability Mode,"
> >>anyone? :-)
> >>

> >The real problem is PHP.  PHP is just the cruftiest language ever invented (trust me, I use it every day).  The PHP
peopleare totally dedicated to MySQL, to the exclusion of all rational thought (eg. When I asked Rasmas at a conference
aboutrace conditions in his replicated setup, he replied "it's never going to happen - MySQL's replication is just too
fast...).

> Hey! don't go knocking PHP, it is probably one of the most flexible and
> easy to use systems around. I have done several fairly large projects
> with PHP and while it is an "ugly" environment, it performs well enough,
> has a very usable extension interface, it is quick and easy to even
> large projects done.

I would say that compared to Perl, TCL, and many other scripting languages
that PHP is actually a far better and more logically designed language.
the way it handles arrays and global vars is the way every language
should.