Re: Foreign Key with Constant - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Dmitry Tkach
Subject Re: Foreign Key with Constant
Date
List pgsql-general
Why not just put everything into *one* table instead?

create table fk_test_both
(
    id   integer,
    type char
    primary key (id,type)
    foreign key (id,type) references fk_test_lookup (lu_id,lu_type)
);

You can then make it look like what you planned originally with a couple of views:

create view fk_test_primary as select id as p_id from fk_test_both where type = 'A';

create view fk_test_secondary as select id as s_id from fk_test_both where type = 'O';

create rule insert_primary as on insert to fk_test_primary do instead insert into fk_test_both values (new.*, 'A');
create rule insert_secondary as on insert to fk_test_secondary do instead insert into fk_test_both values (new.*, '0');
create rule update_primary as on update to fk_test_primapry do instead update fk_test_both set id=new.id where
id=old.idand type='A';
create rule update_primary as on update to fk_test_primapry do instead update fk_test_both set id=new.id where
id=old.idand type='0';

Dima