Re: Creating a list of Press Contacts and similar - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Justin Clift
Subject Re: Creating a list of Press Contacts and similar
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
Josh Berkus wrote:
<snip>
> It's a bit to bite off and chew, but we could team up with OpenOffice.org on
> this.   Scott and I wrote half a program in PHP/MySQL that manages a large,
> multilingual press contacts list, and does "mail blasts:   It needs
> finishing, though ... there's currently no UI and it needs to be ported to
> Postgres so that some of the program can be built into views and functions.

Wouldn't hurt to give it a shot I reckon.  :)

When you say "no UI" though, what *is* there?

> That may be too much to do in time for 7.3, though.
>
> > An additional thought to that, is whether it would be worthwhile adding
> > a simple email address "subscribe" field to the Advocacy site so people
> > who are interested in keeping up with the releases of PostgreSQL can do
> > so through it.
>
> That would be easy and great.  We'd need to check the submissions, though, to
> avoid duplication.  So instead of just "e-mail address", let;s ask for:
>
> Name:
> E-mail Address:
> Preferred Langauge:
> Phone (optional):

To keep it simple, we should probably have a field for the email address
on the front page, and probably their preferred language, then when they
submit that it stores it that in the database (checking for duplicate
emails) and gives them the further option to fill out the rest of the
forms.  Two stage approach but it would mean minimal effort is needed to
sign up but they still have the option to take a bit more time and
effort to give better detail.

What do you reckon?

:)

Regards and best wishes,

Justin Clift

> --
> -Josh Berkus
>
> ______AGLIO DATABASE SOLUTIONS___________________________
>                                         Josh Berkus
>    Complete information technology      josh@agliodbs.com
>     and data management solutions       (415) 565-7293
>    for law firms, small businesses       fax 621-2533
>     and non-profit organizations.       San Francisco

   - Indira Gandhi