Re: Creating a list of Press Contacts and similar - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Josh Berkus
Subject Re: Creating a list of Press Contacts and similar
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
Justin,

> "Finally, we need a list of press contacts, with e-mail, phone, and
> snail-mail addresses -- preferably one on each continent.  And we
> shouldn't link to the main postgreSQL site, with is *not* set up for
> Press access."
>
> Totally agree with these points.  The main PostgreSQL site isn't ready
> yet, and Dave Page doesn't appear to have had time to finish off the
> next generation one yet.
>
> Do you feel it's worthwhile adding a non-public form on the Advocacy
> website so that we can all add contacts as we feel are appropriate?

It's a bit to bite off and chew, but we could team up with OpenOffice.org on
this.   Scott and I wrote half a program in PHP/MySQL that manages a large,
multilingual press contacts list, and does "mail blasts:   It needs
finishing, though ... there's currently no UI and it needs to be ported to
Postgres so that some of the program can be built into views and functions.

That may be too much to do in time for 7.3, though.

> An additional thought to that, is whether it would be worthwhile adding
> a simple email address "subscribe" field to the Advocacy site so people
> who are interested in keeping up with the releases of PostgreSQL can do
> so through it.

That would be easy and great.  We'd need to check the submissions, though, to
avoid duplication.  So instead of just "e-mail address", let;s ask for:

Name:
E-mail Address:
Preferred Langauge:
Phone (optional):

--
-Josh Berkus

                                        Josh Berkus
   Complete information technology     josh@agliodbs.com
    and data management solutions     (415) 565-7293
   for law firms, small businesses      fax 621-2533
    and non-profit organizations.     San Francisco