Re: [HACKERS] pgaccess - where to store the own data - Mailing list pgsql-interfaces

From Joe Conway
Subject Re: [HACKERS] pgaccess - where to store the own data
Date
List pgsql-interfaces
Matthew T. OConnor wrote:
> One thought is to use a completely separate database, but also allow it
> to be stored in the current database if the user wants it too.  This
> also solves the case of a user that can't create a new database for his
> admin tool (permissions etc...).  Also, it might be cleaner now that we
> have schemea support to create one pgadmin, or pgaccess schemea in the
> database, that handled all the others.

As someone else mentioned (I think), even using a separate schema is not
always an acceptable option. If you are using a "packaged" application
(whether commercial or open source), you usually don't want *any*
changes to the vendor provided database. Particularly with commercial
software, that can mean loss of, or problems with, technical support, or
problems when upgrading.

Joe