SQL server application porting headache - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Oskar Berggren
Subject SQL server application porting headache
Date
List pgsql-general
Hi,

I have a Windows application (not written by myself) that uses ODBC to
connect to the database. It was developed using MS Access and SQL Server
as the database. However, we would like to run it using PostgreSQL
as database engine. While trying to do this I have run into some
problems:

     1.  The PostgreSQL ODBC driver from odbc.postgresql.org doesn't
         seem to support dynasets (which I believe require keyset-driven
         cursors). Is there any work on supporting this?

         Using the driver from openlinksw.com I was able to get it up and
         running. But this driver is not open. It is expensive however.

     2.  With the openlink ODBC driver I succesfully got the application
         to connect to the database. But now I run into case-sensitivity
         problems. The first query that fail look like this:

         SELECT "OperatorID" FROM "IntParams" WHERE OperatorID=0;
                                                    ^^^^^^^^^^
                                                   notice no quotes here

         Since the table in question was created using the following
         statement:

         CREATE TABLE "IntParams" ("OperatorID" int4);

         the query above obviously fails on the second reference to
         OperatorID, claiming that "Attribute operatorid not found."

         I'm using PostgreSQL 7.2.1. Is there a way around this problem?
         I don't think it is possible to change the application, since
         it is a rather special tool written by another company as closed
         source. I suppose that if one could make identifiers case-
         insensitive even when quoting them, it would work. Is there a
         way to do that?

regards,
Oskar