Re: URGENT: Performance tuning - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Peter Dimov
Subject Re: URGENT: Performance tuning
Date
List pgsql-general

Hi,

Curt, you are rigth. I tested it.

My idea was only to compare postgres with oracle and to see if it is good.

I got the simplest example with simple data inserting.

I do not have any answer on my questin:

Is postgres good as performace compared to oracle and if yes how to fine tune it.

I readet all docs that Ifound, changed shared buffers and sort chache but can not

get good result.

And the second question:

Was enyone from the list a good perofmed postgres and if yes can I receiv this test result.

If no one had good tuned postgres I do not see the need to use it. For me it can be only "play", demo or...?

Thanks.

  Curt Sampson <cjs@cynic.net> wrote:

On 20 Jun 2002, Ericson Smith wrote:

> For this purpose, you have to have indexes, yes.

Why? Given that there are only five values in the column in question
in a table with over a million rows, the selectivity of the index
would be so low I can't see how postgres would ever use it.

cjs
--
Curt Sampson +81 90 7737 2974 http://www.netbsd.org
Don't you know, in this new Dark Age, we're all light. --XTC