Re: slow INSERTS :(( - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Bill Moran
Subject Re: slow INSERTS :((
Date
List pgsql-general
Varun Kacholia wrote:
>  hi ,
>   I have migrated from MySql to PostgreSQL and i find that inserts are
>   extremly slow.The things which used to be done in 10-15 mins in mysql
>   take 1.5 hrs in pgsql(though i expected double or triple the time but
>   not 8 times...omg).
>   I am using pgsql-7.1 with Redhat linux 7.2
>   Tips to increase and improve performace would be appriciated.
> thanks for any help

VACUUM ANALYZE
... may speed up your database if you're making lots of changes.  You
should do this on a regular basis.

Also, if you post details of your table layouts and your insert operations,
the gurus on the list will be able to give you more specific suggestions.

--
Bill Moran
Potential Technologies