Re: slow INSERTS :(( - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Varun Kacholia
Subject Re: slow INSERTS :((
Date
List pgsql-general
hi ,
 Actually i am building a high end search engine which requires one time
 monsterous INSERTs(done by a single script).This is what takes a looot
 of time and i was worried abt it.
 I read that setting  fsync=false will help (but also since wal logs
 are used ... will it help that much?).I am not much concerned abt the
 data loses as i already have it backed up(in raw form which the script
 parses and inserts in the db ) and am solely
 concerned that they get *inserted* in the database.
 For search purpose i am creating a couple of indexes also ...
 should i drop them initially and create them later?
 Isnt the following query supported in postgresql (it is surely useful and
 supported in MySQL )
 CREATE INDEX t_index ON (NAME(20) , ID);
  Mysql users might be knowing NAME(20) that it indexes only on first
 20 chars of the field NAME.
 Postgresql refused to take this and as a result i have indexes made
 on fields whose length is like 200 chars.
 any kind of help would be appriciated
 thanks

--
------