Re: Discontent with development process (was:Re: pgaccess - the discussion is over) - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Myron Scott
Subject Re: Discontent with development process (was:Re: pgaccess - the discussion is over)
Date
List pgsql-hackers

Tom Lane wrote:

>With a little more intelligence in the manager of this table, this could
>also solve my concern about pointer variables.  Perhaps the entries
>could include not just address/size but some type information.  If the
>manager knows "this variable is a pointer to a palloc'd string" then it
>could do the Right Thing during fork.  Not sure offhand what the
>categories would need to be, but we could derive those if anyone has
>cataloged the variables that get passed down from postmaster to children.
>
>I don't think it needs to be a hashtable --- you wouldn't ever be doing
>lookups in it, would you?  Just a simple list of things-to-copy ought to
>do fine.

I'm thinking in a threaded context where a method may need to lookup a
global that is not passed in.  But for copying, I suppose no lookups
would be
neccessary.

Myron Scott
mkscott@sacadia.com