Re: rotating table question - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Mike Mascari
Subject Re: rotating table question
Date
List pgsql-general
Roman Havrylyak wrote:

> Suppose we have table with indexes, attached triggers, and finnaly alot of
> records (more then 100,000). Records are adding continuously.
>
> Once a month you have to do archiving of records. Simple INSERT INTO ARCHIV
> followed by DELETE and then VACUUM take alot of time, offen even hang up
> sessions. Dropping triggers and indexes is bad due to the continuously
> adding records.
>
> Is there any ways to solve problems?

Try TRUNCATE TABLE instead of DELETE. It won't fire your triggers,
will instantaneously remove all of your records, and if you choose
to perform a 'VACUUM ANALYZE foo;' afterwards to update the
statistics, they will be updated instantly. I'm guessing 95% of the
time used in your situation is VACUUM reclaiming the space used by
the DELETE.

Hope that helps,

Mike Mascari
mascarm@mascari.com