Re: Sparc seems very slow - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Rocke Robertson
Subject Re: Sparc seems very slow
Date
List pgsql-general

"Tille, Andreas" wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I´ve got a Sparc E250 server and I´m runing Debian GNU/Linux on it.
> I now started to make some performance comparisons against a default PC.
> Here are the configurations I used:

I run PostGress on Solaris 7 on an E450 and it works just great.  2x300MHz and 1 GB or memory. I am
using the native logging ufs filesystems. It would probably run quicker if I used VxFS....

If your E250 is that much slower... I would look at all the usual bottlenecks. First start off with
SCSI error messages. If it is that slow, your bus must be slowed down for some reason. Is it I/O
bound.... What kind of throughput are you getting to your disks. Use iostat or Linux's equivalent. If
it is really quite slow compared to what you can do with just a dd writing to a disk, then you have a
problem with the way that postgresql was built, not your disk. Also look at .... Memory..... User cpu
time and System cpu time ....etc.. If memory serves me correctly, Linux has a feature that allows you
to trace system calls (Like any good unix and unix like O/S should) I would recommend having a look at
that...strace ?

If all else fails....install Solaris 7/8. (Subject to discretion of course).

Hope this helps.

--
Rocke Robertson
NCS/GTIS/PWGSC